Challenge Cup round-up

By Michael Hale

Hull FC won comprehensively 47-18 at fellow top four chasing St Helens in the all Super League Television tie. Mark Percival gave the hosts an early lead but Hull hit back through Danny Houghton, Scott Taylor, Gareth Ellis and Jamie Shaul as well as a Marc Sneyd drop goal to take a 25-12 lead into the break despite Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook grabbing a second St Helens’ try.

The hosts began the second half just as they did the first with Luke Walsh’s individual effort opening the scoring in the second period. Curtis Naughton and Kirk Yeamen’s tries then sandwiched a Sneyd penalty to assure Hull of their place in the quarter-final draw. Taylor went over for his second of the game and Fetuli Talanoa added more gloss to an impressive victory late on with further tries.

Wakefield Wildcats eased past League One Toulouse 40-22 at Belle Vue to make the Challenge Cup quarter-finals. Toulouse were unbeaten in the league having conceded just 42 points in five games but four tries from Tom Johnstone was enough to help the Super League side see off the highly-rated Frenchman.

Elsewhere in the competition Wigan Warriors and Widnes Vikings saw off Kingstone Press Championship sides Dewsbury Rams and Halifax respectively to ensure of an all Super League quarter-final draw.

The two games couldn’t have been much more different as the Warriors thrashed Dewsbury 54-4 at the Tetley’s Stadium. Skipper Paul Sykes managed the Rams’ lone try as Wigan ran 10 tries past Glenn Morrison’s side. Josh Charnley, Oliver Gildart and John Bateman scored two tries apiece as the Warriors finished off their Championship counterparts comfortably.

In contrast, Halifax and Widnes had yet another nail-biting clash after the Vikings ran out narrow winners in last year’s Qualifiers clash at the MBI Shay. Miles Greenwood had brought Halifax level early in the second half at 18-18 but despite dominating large parts of the game, Richard Marshall’s men couldn’t make their pressure count as two late Widnes tries from Charly Runciman and James Chapelhow confirmed the victory for Denis Betts’ side.

Full-time results:

Wakefield Wildcats 40 – 22 Toulouse

Dewsbury Rams 4 – 54 Wigan Warriors

Halifax 18-28 Widnes Vikings

St Helens 18 – 47 Hull FC